Re: [O] [ANN, OT] Emacs web-server, a new option for serving Org-mode fi

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN, OT] Emacs web-server, a new option for serving Org-mode files
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 08:40:03 -0600

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 7:53 PM, Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:
> John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Oh, the example is confusing, I just updated both the example and the
>>> documentation.  The problem is that the example serves files, but not
>>> directory listings.  So since you just requested "/" it said there was
>>> nothing there.  If you pull down the latest version of the web-server
>>> that example will now give a directory listing when "/" is requested.
>>
>> So instead of a path, should I have provided a specific file name? I
>> guess I was just going by the description: "The following example
>> implements a file server which will serve files from..." Perhaps I'm
>> still not understanding what, exactly, the web-server does!
>>
>> Do you point it to *a* file, or a directory containing numerous files?
>>
>> Or just to understand better, can you give a concrete example of what
>> I could do with my example path which contains .org files (perhaps via
>> the original code before you modified it, just so I understand the
>> intent).
>>
>> Or should I have been doing something like http://localhost:9003/file.org?
>>

> Yes, the above would have worked with the original.  It assumed you
> would give it a file name as the end of the URL.

I tried two things:

;;; file-server.el --- serve any files using Emacs Web Server
(lexical-let ((docroot "/home/jwhendy/Desktop/e-web-server-test/"))
  (ws-start
   (lambda (request)
     (with-slots (process headers) request
       (let ((path (substring (cdr (assoc :GET headers)) 1)))
         (if (ws-in-directory-p docroot path)
             (if (file-directory-p path)
                 (ws-send-directory-list process
                   (expand-file-name path docroot) "^[^\.]")
               (ws-send-file process (expand-file-name path docroot)))
           (ws-send-404 process)))))
   9003))

- If I go to localhost:9003, I get 404 not found.
- If I go to localhost:9003/personal.org (I threw my non-work notes
file into that directory), it downloads the file.

Next, I replaced the first line with a full path to personal.org:

(lexical-let ((docroot "/home/jwhendy/Desktop/e-web-server-test/personal.org"))

Now I get the following error (in the browser) for localhost:9003:

Caught Error: (void-function ws-send-directory-list)

If I do localhost:9003/personal.org, it also downloads the file.

I feel I must be drastically overcomplicating this somehow...

Thanks again for persisting with me!
John

[snipped emacs terminology discussion]