Re: [O] Creating a help system with org mode

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Creating a help system with org mode
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 15:12:17 -0600

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 3:02 PM, von Hercynius <address@hidden> wrote:
Actually, I might like to have a "knowledge base" article-style help system, each entry generated by org mode as a single web page, the search engine utilizing Google custom search engine just for my help site. Isn't this what WORG is doing?

Yes. You can find out more on these pages:
http://orgmode.org/worg/worg-setup.html
http://orgmode.org/worg/worg-git.html

The first discusses how Worg is published, and the second features instructions for cloning the whole Worg website (well, the .org files that make it) to your computer so you can explore how it's all laid out.

Best regards,
John

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 2:14 PM, John Hendy <address@hidden> wrote:

On Jan 24, 2014 12:59 PM, "von Hercynius" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm at a business that wants to create an on-line help system in order to describe all their daily practices. I'm suggesting org mode at the tool. I'm an org mode beginner, but as I understand I can create knowledge base entries or issues or help topic entries as individual files. These topic entry/Help KB files can contain ample tag/keywords in order to effectively queried by "the agenda" search engine. Am I correct so far? Also, has anyone tried this before; any examples out there of an on-line help system with an index/search capability?

Sounds like what worg is, at least to some degree (an org based wiki/web site).
- http://orgmode.org/worg/

Stack overflow also comes to mind as something to look at. It supports q & a as week as predictive answer suggestions when you go to create a new question.

It might help if you submitted a sort of sketch of what you're looking to do, such as general structure, if it will be pre-populated only or feature user generated content, etc.

That might help others to chime in with suggestions.

John