Re: [O] Fast Access to TODO States without C-t

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [O] Fast Access to TODO States without C-t
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 10:17:04 -0400

Esben Stien <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm trying to figure out how to bind fast access to TODO states, without
> using C-t.
>
> The reason is that I have C-t as escape code for my screen session.

This isn't what you asked, but I would suggest changing your escape key
and perhaps using tmux instead of screen.  Surely screen has way to send
the escape key, but you may need to configure it.

I thought for a long time about escape keys.  screen defaults to C-a and
tmux to C-b.  As an emacs user, I use both of those quite a lot.  So I
went through all the rest of the control characters, and found the one
that I have the least use for to be C-j.  And then I set tmux so that
C-j C-j sends a single C-j to the terminal session.  The only time I
need to type this is when searching for strings that contain newlines,
which is a once/day kind of thing for me.

I also switched from screen to tmux, initially for no good reason (the
cool kids were using tmux, and they all said they liked it better), but
I've been using more and more of it and find very little to complain
about.

Here's my .tmux.conf to set the prefix to C-j:

unbind-key C-b
bind-key C-j send-prefix
set-option -g prefix C-j