Re: [O] (OT) How to follow a mailing list with very high activity (like

From: John Hendy
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 07:52:00 -0500

On Apr 16, 2014 2:29 PM, "M" <address@hidden> wrote:

> This is off-topic, but I hope that someone can give me some good advice:
>
> During the last years, I'be become a real org-mode fan and I want to stay
> current and be active in the great org-mode community.
> I've subscribed to the orgmode mailinglist about 1,5 years ago and so I have
> >17.500 mails in my inbox.
>
> You really have to be organized very well to deal with so much information!
> Is there a tutorial somewhere for good approaches, how to participate

[snip]

I must be way simplistic on thus one. I just use gmail.

- if something sounds relevant or I possibly know anything about how to help, I open the email. If I was wing about that judgement, I delete it.

- either way, from then on replies to that thread show up as flagged important in gmail. For accidental openings, I generally remember the ballpark title and delete follow ups. For relevant notes, I keep them in my inbox until I can chime in to help or try the solution/trick myself. Then I delete.

- if I missed something relevant and run into an issue, I Google the problem and generally find the thread again.

- if I don't, the ML points in the right direction when I inquire, often due to not knowing the syntax to Google my problem :)

For a very small set of things I want around for easy reference, I stick then in an "org" label in gmail.

This replicates well between phone and browser, and my first step most mornings is swiping away most emails from the list that came in overnight.

John