Re: [O] Preserve formatting when copy/pasting from HTML

From: Albert Krewinkel
Subject: Re: [O] Preserve formatting when copy/pasting from HTML
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 14:06:21 +0200

address@hidden (Tory S. Anderson) writes:

> We often read online articles with headings and sometimes subheadings. They
> may also include bold, italic, and hyperlinks, all of which are supported by
> Org. Is there any way to preserve this formatting if I copy-paste into
> org/emacs, the same way it's preserved when I paste into Word or into a Google
> Document/email? Or is this fundamentally difficult in emacs? It would be a
> tremendous feature.

A suggestion for a workaround: You might get decent results using
Pandoc[1] and pandoc-mode[2].  Pandoc can parse HTML and convert it to
org-mode markup.  There is also a helpful answer on stackexchange[3]
(just replace "markdown" with "org).  You might be able to use the above
tools to integrate the mentioned techniques into org's capture mechanism.

HTH,
Albert

[1] http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc
[2] https://github.com/joostkremers/pandoc-mode