Re: [O] manipulating org-tables as matrices - operations on org-table in

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] manipulating org-tables as matrices - operations on org-table in diagonal direction for columns and rows
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 15:47:02 +0200

Hi Daniel,

Daniel Kiertscher <address@hidden> writes:

> org-tables already support very helpful operations for manipulating
> the order of rows and columns. But we could implement some operations
> based on the concept of matrices, making org-tables even more usefull
> for drafting ideas using matrix layouts.
> Maybe you are interested in the operations I am suggesting and can
> help me to implement them.
> Maybe you have some questions or suggestions, improving or
> generalising this approach?
> Here are the first sketches of a part of the functions on org-table
> which I am missing for quite a while now.

Those are useful operations, but I doubt each of them is worth a
separate command and a new keybinding.  Because each function is
a combo of two commands that are already quite fast and accessible,
and -- at least for me -- it seems easier to type M-<right> M-<up>
instead of the related keystroke you suggest.

Another approach would be to use this for yourself for a while,
see what are the most useful commands, and see if their keybinding
makes it really worth adding them to the core of Org.

Thanks,

--
 Bastien