Re: [O] wish: provide flush_right/right_aligned text rendering directive

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] wish: provide flush_right/right_aligned text rendering directive
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 13:27:20 +0200

Hello,

Sebastien Vauban <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/address@hidden>
writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
>> In addition to @code{#+BEGIN_CENTER} blocks (@pxref{Paragraphs}), it is
>> possible to justify contents to the left or the right of the page with the
>> following dedicated blocks.
>>
>> @example
>> #+BEGIN_JUSTIFYLEFT
>> It's just a jump to the left
>> #+END_JUSTIFYLEFT
>>
>> #+BEGIN_JUSTIFYRIGHT
>> And then a step to the right.
>> #+END_JUSTIFYRIGHT
>> @end example
>
> Do I understand correctly that those won't be converted to their
> HTML and LaTeX counterparts (flushright and raggedleft)?

Correct. As Bastien pointed out, there are means to achieve the same in
other back-ends.

> Shouldn't it be better to make that conversion as well for the back-ends
> which support such features?

For some values of "better" only.

At the moment, these blocks belong to the "special blocks" category, aka
"do whatever back-end specific stuff you want" category. This category
is convenient because it doesn't require to extend Org syntax, and it
has room left in some back-ends (like ascii, but not in latex and html,
which handle all possible special blocks already).

What you are asking is to move out these blocks from the "special
blocks" category (because, again, there is no room left in html and
latex), and, as a consequence, create a new syntax element in Org. While
this is possible, it implies to extend the parser to handle it, and,
more importantly, to ask all serious export back-ends in the wild to do
their best to support the new feature (if they don't provide
a transcoder, all contents will be ignored without notice).

My opinion is that the feature is a) not important enough and b) somehow
already available in Org. I'm all for consistency, but in this
particular case, the benefit is way too slim.

Nicolas Goaziou