Re: [O] org-contacts development

From: Michael Strey
Subject: Re: [O] org-contacts development
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 12:23:37 +0200

Hi Daimrod,

On 2014-05-29, Daimrod wrote:

> Hmm, I kinda like this. It seems a bit verbose but it's better than
> having multiple values per properties (IMHO).
>
> Though, if we adopt this scheme, we would need to add some helper
> bindings/functions so that we don't have to fill this by hands.

I'm using yasnippets and have snippets for organizations, job-related
contacts and private contacts.

I have attached them.

C-c C-x p helps to fill in optional properties.

I have all my contacts in one buffer with the following settings

#+BEGIN_SRC org
* Buffer settings
#+STARTUP: overview
#+STARTUP: hidestars
#+STARTUP: indent
#+TAGS: ADMIN(i) CHEF(f) EINKAUF(k) PRIVAT(t) SEKRETARIAT(s)
#+TAGS: AUTO(u) BROADCASTER(b) DAB(d) DVB(v) EMPFÄNGER(m) HOCHSCHULE(h)
NETZBETREIBER(n) SYSTEM(y) B2B B2C REG
#+TAGS: MAIL(l) PRESSE(e) KUNDE COMPETITOR
#+TAGS: ABI CI FAMILIE FREUNDE SCHULE TAICHI TURNEN
#+SEQ_TODO: TODO(t) NEXT(n) WAITING(w) | DONE(d) CANCELLED(c)
#+PROPERTY: Contact_Type_ALL individual organization
#+PROPERTY: Language_ALL de en ru
#+PROPERTY: Phone_1_Type_ALL Work Home Fax Mobile
#+PROPERTY: Phone_2_Type_ALL Work Home Fax Mobile
#+PROPERTY: Phone_3_Type_ALL Work Home Fax Mobile
#+PROPERTY: Phone_4_Type_ALL Work Home Fax Mobile
#+PROPERTY: Address_1_Type_ALL Work Home Post
#+PROPERTY: Address_2_Type_ALL Work Home Post
#+PROPERTY: Address_3_Type_ALL Work Home Post
#+PROPERTY: Website_1_Type_ALL Work Home
#+PROPERTY: Website_2_Type_ALL Work Home
#+END_SRC

>> Other user defined properties can be added and mapped to the appropriate
>> user defined keys during export.
>
> I'm not sure to understand what you mean. Could you give more details
> and maybe an example?

Actually, my statement was trivial.  Orgmode allows to define and add
every kind of additional properties.  What I wanted to say was that it
is possible to export those additional properties to Google Contacts as
well.

I have for instance the property :Language: that is not part of the
Google API.  I use it to store the preferred language of correspondence
for my job-related contacts for mailing actions.

Google Contacts accepts such fields in the CSV file to import and
creates user defined fields from them.

>> Please note that org-collector tries to convert property values from
>> strings into numbers if possible.  For postal codes with leading Zeros
>> this can lead to unexpected results.  I did not find any other way to
>> solve this problem than to add a national code like in the following
>> example
>>
>> :Address_1_Code:  01169
>> would lead to "1169" in the propview table.
>>
>> so I replaced it with
>> :Address_1_Code:  DE-01169
>
> What is `org-collector' and when does it happen?

>From the Orgmode manual:

"An alternative way to capture and process property values into a table
is provided by Eric Schulte's org-collector.el which is a contributed
package.  It provides a general API to collect properties from entries
in a certain scope, and arbitrary Lisp expressions to process these
values before inserting them into a table or a dynamic block."

I'm using org-collector to create a table that can be exported to CSV
for import into Google Contacts (and maybe other contact managers).

> I've done a quick test and the 0 appears in `org-contacts-db'.

Yes, everything is fine with org-contacts.  The problem comes only from
org-collector.  The reason is org-collector's feature to allow Lisp
expressions to process property values.  Therefore it uses the function
`org-babel-read' that detects Lisp expressions and converts strings into
numbers.

So this remark is only relevant for those who want to follow my track with the
org-collector export.

--
Michael Strey
www.strey.biz