Re: [O] Discussion request: 15m tangle time, details follow

From: Andreas Leha
Subject: Re: [O] Discussion request: 15m tangle time, details follow
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 09:20:09 +0100

Hi Grant,

Grant Rettke <address@hidden> writes:

> Good evening,
>
> Over the past few months I've been working on the same literate
> document. It has been a learning
> experience for me, trial and error has abounded. The key tenet that
> I've adhered too though is to truly
> embrace literate programming, and the more I learn the more it makes
> sense. The document has
> grown quite organically and it has been and continues to be a
> wonderful experience. What I need
> help, feedback, discussion, and more on is the build time.
>
> The average build takes 15m. It didn't start this way; it was about 3
> minutes way back when. The last time it
> got kind of big was 9m and I didn't think too much of it. After
> literally a day of additions, it shot up to 15m.
> I tried upgrading to the latest org release with no change. I also
> removed all of the non-tangleable text with no change there, either.To
> give a fair picture, I did publish the system here:
>
> https://github.com/grettke/home
>
> My specific request: I need help with pointers on where I should start
> looking to speed things up. My goal is to have a full powered literate
> programming system in org mode that is blazing fast. This is from a
> user perspective, I use it every chance I get now and have barely
> scratched the surface. Right now though I'm sort of hobbled by the
> build time. That is actually understating it, I can't really be
> productive anymore at all. Little
> changes take 15m each and if I test it the "right way", 30m. Usually I
> would make little changes and every
> so often make sure that it can rebuild itself; usually it may :).
>
> This build is documented in the github project; it only loads the
> absolute minimum required to do the build.
>
> Ideas: Separate the documents. Hack on org directly.
>
> Non-ideas: Faster hardware. More ram. Newer software.
>
> Details:
>
> Emacs 24.3.1.
> Org 8.2.6
> OSX 10.9 (software updated)
> Darwin orion 13.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 13.2.0: Thu Apr 17 23:03:13
> PDT 2014; root:xnu-2422.100.13~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
> 8core 2.x GHz, 16GB ram
> Anti-virus turned off (compliance)
>
> Please let me know any comments, questions, or concerns; looking
> forward to all and every thought
> and idea.

I do not have the time to look into this, but fortunately, other
have done so already ;-)

Just one quick idea:  Have you tried [fn:1]
(setq org-babel-use-quick-and-dirty-noweb-expansion t)

This can lead to dramatic speedups in my experience.

Best,

Andreas

> Where I may contribute is with time, effort, patience, cheerfulness,
> and experience.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Grant Rettke | ACM, ASA, FSF, IEEE, SIAM
> address@hidden | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/
> “Wisdom begins in wonder.” --Socrates
> ((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
> “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop
> taking it seriously.” --Thompson

Footnotes:

[fn:1]
(see
article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/50625/match=problem+noweb+ref+property)