Re: [O] Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: [O] Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 22:04:08 -0700

M <address@hidden> writes:

>> Von: Karl Voit <address@hidden>
>> Datum: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 13:43:31 +0200
>> An: <address@hidden>
>> Betreff: [O] Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I was wondering if there are people out there who also need Org-mode
>> features that are *not part of any other software solution*. For the
>> usual question "why should I learn Emacs/Org-mode?" I'd like to have
>> a list of cool Org-mode features that demonstrate the benefit.
>>
>> So, how about a short brainstorming here and a new Worg-page
>> collecting those things?
>>
>> I start with:
>>
>> * seamlessly integrating notes, spreadsheet calculations, tasks, and
>> more at one single place
>>
>> * being able to pipe results of program written in language A to
>> another script in language B (babel)
>>
>> * quick and simple defining dependencies between tasks such as
>> "doing groceries" is required for "cooking fancy dinner"
>> (org-depend)
>>

> Hi Karl,
>
> that's a very good idea. However, really _unique_ selling points might be
> difficult to find. For your first one I'm not sure, but dependencies are
> available in other tools to, so it's not a true USP.

Actually, it is a good USP for a task management system.  Most other
task management systems that I've seen (like Toodledo) only support one
level of parent-child relationships and do not support task
dependencies or they support it badly.

> You have to know all "competitors" and their features to be sure it is a
> true (unique!) USP. This is nearly impossible.

That's what the newsgroup is for.

--
David Masterson
Programmer At Large