Re: [O] Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode

From: M
Subject: Re: [O] Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 07:55:46 +0200

> Von: David Masterson <address@hidden>
> Datum: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 22:04:08 -0700
> An: <address@hidden>
> Betreff: Re: [O] Collecting unique selling proposition (USP) of Org-mode
>
> M <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> that's a very good idea. However, really _unique_ selling points might be
>> difficult to find. For your first one I'm not sure, but dependencies are
>> available in other tools to, so it's not a true USP.
>
> Actually, it is a good USP for a task management system.  Most other
> task management systems that I've seen (like Toodledo) only support one
> level of parent-child relationships and do not support task
> dependencies or they support it badly.

I absolutely agree that hierarchical "sub"-tasks (I assume, that's what you
mean with parent-child-relationsships?) and dependencies are an important
feature for a task management system (at least for some users).
I did not put that into question.
So, yes, it is a good USP for a taks management system.
But a "USP" (from my understanding) is something that no other product
offers - and that's just not true for dependencies or hierarchical tasks or
the combination of both.

Taken from Wikipedia (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unique_selling_proposition)
"2. The proposition must be one the competition cannot or does not offer. It
must be unique‹either in the brand or in a claim the rest of that particular
advertising area does not make."

>> You have to know all "competitors" and their features to be sure it is a
>> true (unique!) USP. This is nearly impossible.
>
> That's what the newsgroup is for.

I absolutely agree

Martin