Re: [O] Installing from git

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] Installing from git
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 19:17:32 +0200

Vicente Vera writes:
> Thanks for your reply. Which one is the default install method? If
> it's 'make install',

I'd go for "make up2" (which ends up doing make install if the tests are
passing) if you want minimum involvement, but it's your choice.

> do i need to tweak local.mk because of the
> location of my Emacs installation (as explained here:
> http://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-build-system.html#sec-4-1-3)? In my
> system (Debian) Emacs is in /usr/local/.

As this would usually be first in PATH you don't need to do anything
special.  Although just to remind yourself that you are using that Emacs
you could specify the full path anyway.  The real question is where they
moved site-lisp, in your case it would normally be in
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp (but since you've said you compiled
Emacs yourself, you could have configured something different).  If
you've kept the standard config, then all you need to do in local.mk is
to set prefix to /usr/local/share. Do a "make config" to have those
locations shown to you or even a "make config-all".

> And does this method allows to have the latest info manual without
> overriding the built-in org-mode installation?

If infodir points to the correct location, then yes.  That's the whole
point of doing a proper installation.

Regards,
Achim.