Re: [O] An Org centric research lab: Goodbye MS word, excel, and powerpo

From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
Subject: Re: [O] An Org centric research lab: Goodbye MS word, excel, and powerpoint
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 11:14:56 -0400

Grant Rettke <address@hidden> writes:

> Octave is an option, too: https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/

Since people are championing python, and R and Octave have been
mentioned, let me throw this one into the discussion:
http://www.sagemath.org/

"Sage is a free open-source mathematics software system licensed under
the GPL. It builds on top of many existing open-source packages: NumPy,
SciPy, matplotlib, Sympy, Maxima, GAP, FLINT, R and many more"

"Many more" includes Octave as well. If you know python, then you can
use only python in Sage, no need for learning anything new.

Actually you do not need to install anything to use it:
https://cloud.sagemath.com/

At Sage Math Cloud (SMC) besides Sage, you can access a terminal there
and it has emacs already installed. Also you can ssh to their servers,
and tramp with emacs locally works well connecting to it. That is what I
use for research.

Come to think about it, there is no ob-sage.el yet. I write my papers
directly to LaTeX (and my collaborators write at SMC since they are not
emacs users and it provides direct compilation and shows already the
results) so I never thought about exporting to sage. Does someone have
any plans for this?

Jorge.