Re: [O] Managing articles in orgmode and collaboration

From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
Subject: Re: [O] Managing articles in orgmode and collaboration
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 10:33:44 -0400

Christoph Groth writes:
My motivation for keeping bibliography in org was to keep all local information about a paper (including notes and comments) in one place. This should make it easier to find it.

In BibTeX if any field contains an entry that is not part of the required or optional entries for the field type, that entry is ignored. So you can do want you want in a single bib file, just include for every field that you want a "COMMENTS" entry. The "NOTE" entry is an optional entry for the field type article and book, so you have to use something else, I use "ANNOTE", since it is the standard "to be ignored" entry in the emacs BibTeX mode.

I like to keep papers under version control, and the commenting that you suggest does not seem to fit this way of working very well.

Then change it to:

#+BEGIN_SRC latex
 \include{personal_references}
 \bibliography{references.bib}
#+END_SRC

And in personal_references.tex, every user has just one line:

#+BEGIN_SRC latex
 \bibliography{the_user_path_to_her/his_references.bib}
#+END_SRC

Add personal_references.tex to the .gitignore file (or the equivalent if you are not using git), and then you have version control and no more commenting/uncommenting.

Perhaps I am biased because I learned LaTeX and BibTeX before Org, but I think that for references BibTeX (plus a little bit of emacs configuration) has everything I could need. I guess if you are more used to Org, it might be worth to invest time and come up with a org-based solution. Please keep us posted, I find this a very interesting thread.

Cheers,

--
Jorge.