Re: [O] passing LC_ALL environment variable to org export call

From: Johannes Rainer
Subject: Re: [O] passing LC_ALL environment variable to org export call
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 14:51:53 +0200

On 29 Sep 2014, at 14:06, Rasmus <address@hidden> wrote:

> Johannes Rainer <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> thanks for your hint. I checked Sys.getenv before and after the
>> failing code, but LC_ALL was always properly set. I’m afraid my
>> problem relates to some Mac LLVM and GCC gfortran compiler thing,
>> since I’m using a R version compiled against the Mac Accelerate
>> framework (vecLib)… it is just so strange that I only get the error in
>> Emacs org-mode upon exporting the org file, but not, if I evaluate
>> each code chunk separately.
>
> But are you using .C, .Fortran or Rcpp in your code-block?  If not,
> why would your compilers matter?  (I'm not an expert on R internals,
> so my comment may be naïve).

no I’m not using .C in the code-block, the code block contains only R-code,
however, one of the R functions is using (like most R functions) either C or
fortran code to do the actual calculation. I suspect the loess function in R
causing the problem and that this function uses some code from the optimized
BLAS (i.e. library for numeric calculation) library from Apple (i.e. the
Accelerate, or vecLib framework).
So, if I run the code (exporting the org buffer to latex) in parallel
processing mode I get a segfault. the same without parallel processing is fine.
Strangely enough, the code block evaluated (C-c C-c) in parallel processing
mode runs also fine. also, if I tangle the R-code and run the R-code in R it
also works fine. It just doesn’t with org-mode export...

so, in the end I give up. I think there is some very mystic thing going on. I
also tried to understand what the difference between org-mode export and
org-mode eval is... without success. I thought that the R-process is somehow
started differently, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.