Re: [O] Org-element once again

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] Org-element once again
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2014 10:44:07 +0800

Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi list,
>
> does there exist any place I could find the specs of the org-element
> data structure?  From what I can see, it is a list whose car is the type
> of the element, then a (somewhat mysterious or me) plist follows, and
> then the children.  Where could I find more info?  If the answer is
> "read the source, Luke" ;-) , which functions should I start with?
>
> Best,

Have you looked at this page?

http://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-element-api.html

That and the pages linked from it seem to cover most of what's going on.

The mysterious plist holds all the properties for a given element. Most
are generated by the parsing process (eg :contents-begin and
:contents-end, see the link above for all the different properties the
various elements/objects might get), while headlines will also have
their actual property-drawer properties put into the list.

The only thing that remains a little opaque to me is the "section"
element, which apparently gets wrapped around a heading's subtree. I
don't know what it does, but it's never gotten in my way so I haven't
worried about it.

Hope that helps,
Eric