Re: [O] An Org-mode LaTeX class?

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] An Org-mode LaTeX class?
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 07:38:06 -1000

Aloha Rasmus,

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

>> Moreover, the look of these elements is configurable on the LaTeX
>> end, and further by means of Org options.  This way, we drop the
>> "generic LaTeX" thing (which is nice for people sending articles to
>> journals etc. – so my dream should not replace the current LaTeX
>> exporter, only constitute a variant!), but instead we gain a
>> beautiful, configurable pdf rendering of Org buffers.
>
> Thomas S. Dye tried it back in the days.  It was called org-article¹.
> I'm sure he will share his experience here eventually.

My goal was to get publication quality documents out of the old
exporter, which aimed to make LaTeX copies of notes taken in Org mode.
I tried to see how much work I could off-load to LaTeX so I didn't have
to wrestle with the old exporter.

Nicolas's new exporter framework very completely solved the problems I
was having with the old exporter and I now routinely write journal
articles in Org mode, using one of the standard classes (typically
scrartcl) because it is more convenient for me than working in LaTeX.
It is my experience that reproducible research is useful, even when it
is not a goal of publication.  Because my Org mode files capture an
entire analysis, I know exactly where to go when I want to pick up some
old research.

That said, I think there is some overlap between Marcin's dream and what
I was trying to accomplish, though Marcin's knowledge of LaTeX and
programming generally appear to put him well ahead of what I brought to
the table working on org-article.

All the best,
Tom

--