Re: [O] Inline code :results replace not working

From: Andreas Leha
Subject: Re: [O] Inline code :results replace not working
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 10:56:48 +0000

Hi,

Sebastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:
> Andreas Leha wrote:
>>> For me, that's the correct behavior, as inline code blocks are *only
>>> expected to be evaluated during export*.
>>
>> I disagree here.  As limiting the use of inline code to
>> eval-on-export-only renders all the org-babel-execute-subtree and
>> related functionality useless.
>
> Though, this is what Eric Schulte wrote:
>
>   ┌──── https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2012-04/msg00490.html
>
>   │ Currently inline blocks like don't associate themselves with their
>   │ results, they are only expected to be evaluated on export.
>   └────
>
> Admittedly, this is an old quote (2012).  If things have changed, I'm
> not aware of it -- but that does not mean it did not.

I have been using inline results for reports quite a bit, but not
lately.  I might be wrong here, but from my memory they used to work
(i.e. were replaceable) for a while (at least when 'wrapped') unless
they were set to produce 'raw' results (which was a serious limitation
and led me to change my workflow).

Nonetheless, from a literate programming perspective, I think that
replaceable (and raw) inline results are definitely desirable.
Regardless of the state of their implementation in orgmode right now.

So, I do not doubt, that you and Nicolas are right with that replaceable
inline results are not implemented and are -- from orgmodes perspective
-- expected to be evaluated only during export.

My message was meant more as a feature request saying that I consider
replaceable inline results useful and would like to see them supported
by org.

Regards,
Andreas

PS:
a quick check reveals that they are indeed not replaceable (even
when wrapped)
* Test replacement of inline results

Here is an inline result src_R[:results wrap replace]{3+2}.