Re: [O] C-x RET r utf-8 RET

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] C-x RET r utf-8 RET
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 15:35:00 +0800

Sharon Kimble <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm trying to set this
>
> ╭────
> │C-x RET r utf-8 RET
> ╰────
>
> as "C-x zx" as I'm finding that I need to use this block-quoted
> command fairly regularly for some unknown reason.
>
> I have set it as
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> (global-set-key (kbd "C-x zx") 'r utf8)
> #+END_SRC
>
> but the system rejects it as the "utf8" stage.

You've got a small confusion here between "key sequence" and "command
name". Up at the top, you're typing in the key sequence "C-x RET r".
That key sequence calls the command `revert-buffer-with-coding-system'.
You can verify this by using "C-h c" (for describe-key-briefly) and then
typing "C-x RET r". Or, the other way around, by typing "C-h w" (for
where-is), then "revert-buffer-with-coding-system".

When you set your global keys, the key sequence needs to point at a
_command_, not at more keys. We already know what the command name is,
so it will look like:

(global-set-key (kbd "C-x zx") 'revert-buffer-with-coding-system)

But that doesn't include the utf-8 part: using this key sequence will
still prompt you for a coding system. You could do that in a lambda, but
it probably won't accept a non-interactive function, so you'll likely
want something a little more complicated:

(defun my-set-coding-system-to-utf8 ()
  (interactive)
  (revert-buffer-with-coding-system 'utf-8))

(global-set-key (kbd "C-x zx") 'my-set-coding-system-to-utf8)

Give that a shot!

Note that the coding system specified is the symbol 'utf-8. It needs to
be quoted, and it needs to have the hyphen. I have more than once tried
to set my coding systems to 'utf8, to no avail.

Yours,
Eric