Re: [O] Citations, continued

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Citations, continued
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2015 10:58:12 +0100

Richard Lawrence <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 2:43 PM, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> What about the following set?
>>
>>  bold code entity italic latex-fragment line-break strike-through
>>  subscript superscript underline superscript
>
> That would work fine for me in prefixes and suffixes.

Fair enough.

> I guess I could live with this, but to be honest, I much prefer the
> Pandoc way.

Actually, there is another, shorter possibility:

  - in-text citation

      [KEY] or [KEY suffix]

    address@hidden or address@hidden p. 30] or address@hidden p. 30, with
suffix]

  - out-text citation

      [cite: prefix? key suffix?; prefix2? key2 suffix2? ...]

    [cite: see @item1 p. 34-35] or [cite: @item1 pp. 33, 35-37, and
    nowhere else] or [cite: address@hidden p. 44] or even [cite: see @item1 p.
    34-35; also @item3 chap. 3]

IMO it is quite readable.

> The Pandoc syntax has a nice congruence between the source file and
> the output: if a cite key is inside the brackets in the source, the
> reference is inside the brackets in the output, and if it's outside in
> the source, it's outside in the output.  This convention seems
> natural, easy to remember, and very readable -- at least if, like me
> (and I would guess many others), you use author names in cite keys.

This can be partly (i.e. visually) solved with overlays, e.g., you write
address@hidden: p. 30] and you see @item1 (p. 30) in the buffer. IMO, this is
overkill, though.

> So as an author, I prefer the Pandoc way, but I understand there are
> other considerations.  If we must have the tag for performance
> reasons, I would prefer using two different tags to represent the two
> cases; I suggest borrowing (from LaTeX's natbib package) "citet" for
> in-text and "citep" for bracketed citations , but I don't really care
> as long as they're easy to type, and it's easy to change one to the
> other.

IMO, my current proposal is clearer.

Also, you can switch to in-text to out-text (or the other way) just by
adding (or removing) cite: at the beginning of the citation.