Re: [O] including files and org-src-preserve-indentation

From: Linus Arver
Subject: Re: [O] including files and org-src-preserve-indentation
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 19:27:18 -0800

On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 06:36:29PM +0100, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Linus Arver <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> When I call org-publish-current-project, the included file's TAB
> >> characters automatically become converted into spaces. Is there an
> >> orgmode way of preventing this auto-conversion?
>
> I cannot reproduce it. Could you provide an ECM?

So, after I created a minimal complete example (ECM), I loaded in the
latest org-mode (Git HEAD) and realized that the problem does not exist
in Org. It is with the `htmlize` [1] package. That is, if I simply
uninstall that package from my MELPA folder, the tabs stay as tabs,
regardless of what version of Org (latest Git HEAD or 8.2.10) I use.

> Also, what happens if
> you do a regular export (no publishing)?

If I call `org-html-export-to-html`, I get the same behavior. I.e., if I
have `htmlize` installed, the tabs get converted into spaces. If I
remove `htmlize`, the tabs are preserved nicely.

I would file a bug report upstream, but it appears that `htmlize` does
not have a website. It looks like the official version of `htmlize` [2]
has "untabify" (grep it) hardcoded into the program, so a quick fix may
not be in order any time soon.

Meanwhile from the Org side, perhaps we can have a way to let the user
select which program to use for syntax highlighting? Maybe something
external like Pygments [3]?

It would be helpful if Org could tell the user that it found (or did not
find) the `htmlize` package and that it was used (or not used) when
calling either `org-publish-current-project` or
`org-html-export-to-html`.

-L

[1]: http://melpa.org/#/htmlize
[2]: http://fly.srk.fer.hr/~hniksic/emacs/htmlize.el.cgi