Re: [O] Citation syntax: Underscore MUST(?) be allowed in cite keys?

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Citation syntax: Underscore MUST(?) be allowed in cite keys?
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2015 13:34:54 +0100

address@hidden (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

> Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

>>> More readable, I guess.
>>
>> I agree.  In time, "org-reftex" would insert @key if no notes are
>> requested at the time of insertion.
>
> I think the OP has a valid point.  After we teach org-reftex to insert
> @key if no notes are requested, are we going to convince all key
> generating software to prohibit keys that end in punctuation?

So just to get it straight: are you advocating for only allowing
[cite:@key]-like constructs to allow punctuation at the end of words?

Perhaps it's a can of worms, but you can also match keys against a
"punctuation at end of word"-regexp and use the fuller cite command then.
I'm not too happy with having the regexps used in [cite:@·] and @· diverge
too much, though...

So /given support for end-of-word punctuation/, we'd either have two
abandon a "single" org-element--citation-key-re (yes that's not entirely
correct) or give up short citations.

> As I currently understand the problem, that seems like a tall order to
> me.

It's also a tall order to support end of word punctuation cf. above.

I think another important question is how easy is it to configure the
citation manager in question not to insert punctuation marks at the end?

—Rasmus

--
This message is brought to you by the department of redundant departments