Re: [O] Function that jumps to an entry with a certain CUSTOM_ID

From: Christoph Lange
Subject: Re: [O] Function that jumps to an entry with a certain CUSTOM_ID
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 22:59:44 +0200

On Mar 31, 2015 9:53 PM, "Nicolas Goaziou" <address@hidden> wrote:
> The problem is that we're running out of interesting keybindings.

Let me ask the question differently: as all reasonable key bindings are taken (a statement to which I tend to agree), is the suggestion of interactive functions to be added to the core of org-mode no longer appropriate? I.e. should I contribute them to Worg (with which I still need to familiarise myself) rather than suggesting them here? Or, asking about a middle course, what's the role of org's "contrib" directory? (Is it even suitable for something that is not a complete plugin of its own right, but rather just a single function?)

> "C-c
> j" is not an option since it is reserved to users.

Sorry, this was unfortunate in my initial post. I didn't intend to hard-code this as the "default" key binding, but it was rather meant to be read as "if you like this function, you could bind it, for example, to ...".

> Note that you can use
>
>   (let ((h (org-find-property "CUSTOM_ID" custom-id)))
>     (when h (goto-char h)))
>
> instead of
>
>   (org-link-search ...)
>
> for one less level of indirection.

Thanks - makes sense. However probably not if I write a tutorial in the style of "if you want to do <something>, then copy the following lines to your. emacs".

But I think I should rather aim at Worg's "contrib" directory, with a short elisp file containing my function, plus a short HTML file explaining that there exists an elisp file containing a function that does <a few words about the functionality> - does this make sense?

Cheers, and thanks for your advice,

Christoph

--
Christoph Lange(-Bever)