Re: [O] "Fortran" missing in "List of supported code block languages"?

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] "Fortran" missing in "List of supported code block languages"?
Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 07:21:39 -1000

Ista Zahn <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 8:37 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
>> John Kitchin writes:
>>
>>  > Fortran is supported in the sense that you can edit a block in
>>  > Fortran mode. But you cannot execute a Fortran block directly
>>  > afaik. You have to tangle it, compile it and then run the
>>  > executable.
>
> That is not true, you can in fact execute fortran blocks directly.
> ob-fortran.el has been part of org since 2011. IMO it is a
> documentation bug that it is not listed as a supported language.
>
> Best,
> Ista
>

>> Thanks for the precision.  I guess it would not hurt to mention this
>> kind of details in the doc, to some extent at least.
>>
>>  > For example like this:
>>  >
>>  >
>> http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2014/02/04/Literate-programming-example-with-Fortran-and-org-mode/
>>
>> Very helpful.  Seems to me that having such examples (at least the
>> simple one) in the doc would be extremely helpful to beginners.

Fortran is one of several under-documented babel languages (see
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages.html). There is a
template for users willing to start a first draft of the fortran or
other language documentation (see
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages.html#develop).

All the best,
Tom