[O] \nbsp trick to get prefixed superscript to work?

From: Lawrence Bottorff
Subject: [O] \nbsp trick to get prefixed superscript to work?
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 11:43:36 -0400

I saw an earlier discussion about Emacs/org-mode superscript and subscript behavior. My issue is I want to do a chem isotope of an element. In standard Latex format I would do this:

$^{147}$Pm  or leaving off the $ and turning on Emacs' display of UTF-8 ( C-c C-x \ ) just ^{147}Pm

but it doesn't work in either Emacs or org-mode, however

Pm^{147} does, i.e., putting the super-/subscript /after/ Pm. Also,

$^{147}Pm$ does work, although it converts the Pm into italicized text upon export. Also

\nbsp^{147}Pm works in both Emacs and org-mode, but upon standard export to HTML, it works in the TOC and down in the actual text, but not in the "Contents" section (not used in Latex export).

Apparently, chemists cannot do Emacs and/or org-mode when they want to prefix the super- bzw. sub-script without a kudge?

LB