Re: [O] Time-zone in dates

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Time-zone in dates
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 23:48:28 +0200

Hello,

address@hidden writes:

> Timezones are strange beasts to deal with.

True.

> It is really simpler programmatically to deal with time offsets
> instead. The downside is that you cannot manage DST and other similar
> peculiarities but the API is much simpler to write.

However, time offsets are not very interesting. Org is (also) about
appointments, deadlines... so timezones are more accurate.

Also, Emacs contains "timezone.el", which, I assume, should take care of
all the heavy duty concerning these beasts, as far as an API is
concerned.

This requires care, but it should be doable, really, don't you think?

> Just please don't confuse timezones and time offsets especially in
> documentation as it is not the same thing and it can lead to
> confusion.
>
> I reread from time to time this note from W3C which explains the
> difference and why it matters :
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/NOTE-timezone-20051013/#d2e226

Thank you for the reference. I didn't know about it.

Nicolas Goaziou