Re: [O] Pass options to \columns{} environment in beamer export

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] Pass options to \columns{} environment in beamer export
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 08:48:34 +0200

Hi John,

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 11:16:42PM -0500, John Hendy wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 6:25 AM, Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >   All contiguous environments are automatically wrapped in a columns
> >   environment, although it can be forced at any point by setting the
> >   BEAMER_env property to columns. This might be handy if you want to
> >   pass special options.

 [...]

> Definitely, and I can take a stab at it now that I understand how it
> works. I think what didn't register was the meaning of "contiguous
> environments." I'm not really sure how to parse that.
> - What is an "environment" (as in any of the b_xxx properties causes
> it to be in a columns env. as well)?

Environment here refers to what is exported to LaTeX.  Since the
previous paragraph was talking about "column", I mean these blocks:

  \begin{column}
  \end{column}

I think the important bit to understand (in general about the beamer
exporter), the properties are what determine the exported LaTeX
environment.  The tags are there for the convenience of the user.  The
BMCOL tag is the exception, no other tag behaves this way.  There is
another special tag, B_ignoreheading, but there the purpose is to end
the previous environment, rather than export a new one.

> - What is "contiguous" (I think I now understand this to mean
> "nested.")? I guess I tend to think of contiguous as "of the same
> part," which didn't immediately register as "parent/child." That said,

The dictionary meaning of contiguous is something that shares a
boundary, or adjacent.  Maybe a more common, but less specific, word is
easier to follow, say something like adjacent or consecutive.  Is the
meaning clearer if contiguous is changed to one of these?

Would a more verbose explanation, maybe with an example, be better?
Either way, please feel free to make the change :).

Cheers,

--
Suvayu