Re: [O] Collaborative Team Project Management with Orgmode?

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] Collaborative Team Project Management with Orgmode?
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 16:45:13 -0400

> Let's see... the org-contacts vs BBDB issue isn't a big deal, since
> Gnorb doesn't actually do all that much with contacts right now. I'd be
> happy to add tweaks to it to make it more org-contacts friendly.
>
> Email tracking is a bigger issue. Gnorb uses the Gnus registry to track
> correspondences between messages and headlines, and obviously none of
> that would work with mu4e.
>
> Earlier versions did tracking by storing message ids as a property on a
> headline. I suppose I could go back to doing that in a mu4e-specific
> library.

Message id tracking is likely the way to do it in mu4e. mu4e links seem
to store this for links.

[[mu4e:msgid:address@hidden

> To me, the most useful thing about message tracking isn't the
> identification and hinting of incoming emails. The two most useful
> things (I think) are:
>
> 1. Taking a message and saying "this message should trigger a state
>    change on that Org heading there"
> 2. Seeing all messages associated with a heading in their own virtual
>    "mailbox"
>
> Number one shouldn't be too difficult to implement for mu4e, as it would
> mostly rely on Org's own mu4e support. Number two would be nearly
> impossible, or at least impractical given my lack of familiarity with
> mu4e.

I am still learning many things about emails. mu4e has pretty powerful
search capability via the underlying Xapian database.

> Another thing I find hugely useful is automatically transferring files
> attached to incoming messages to Org headings (via org-attach).
> Presumably mu4e has a way of getting at the attachments on a message, so
> in theory this wouldn't be that hard, either.

This sounds pretty interesting. I have never gotten that into
attachments, but this might change my mind. There are functions in mu4e
to view and save attachments, so this might not be hard.

I am pretty interested in pursuing this, but am pretty busy for a while
so progress on my end will be slow ;(