[O] Single outer smart quotes.

From: Leonard Randall
Subject: [O] Single outer smart quotes.
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 01:34:57 +0100

Hi,

The new smart quotes algorithm does not seem to capture British style quoting (single outer quotes, double inner quotes) correctly. It treats all single quotes that are not enclosed in double quotes as apostrophes. I assume that it was revised to deal with apostrophes that occur on the outside of words, and I saw that it was updated again just last week to deal with some edge cases. Do you think that there is an easy way to make it recognise single outer quotes without sacrificing the recent gains, or would it be better just to treat American style quoting as the standard for source files, and just add an en-gb entry to org-export-smart-quotes-alist that converts double quotes to single quotes and vice versa?

Thanks,
Leonard