Re: [O] Bug: Extra blank line in subitem list when exported to markdown

From: Denis Bitouzé
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Extra blank line in subitem list when exported to markdown [8.3.1 (8.3.1-103-g366dc4-elpa @ /home/bitouze/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150907/)]
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 09:32:31 +0200

Le 13/09/15 à 22h41, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> a écrit :

> Hello,

> address@hidden (Denis Bitouzé) writes:
>
>> When exported to markdown, an extra blank line is added in subitem
>> lists, as shown by the following minimal example.
>>
>> #+NAME: test.org
>> #+begin_src org
>> - Foo 1
>> - Foo2:
>>   - Foo21
>>   - Foo22
>>   End of Foo2 item.
>> #+end_src
>>
>> *Expected* behavior (note the *absence* of blank line after =Foo22=):
>>
>> #+NAME: test-ok.md
>> #+begin_src markdown
>> -   Foo 1
>> -   Foo2:
>>     -   Foo21
>>     -   Foo22
>>     End of Foo2 item.
>> #+end_src
>>
>> *Current* behavior (note the blank line after =Foo22=):
>>
>> #+NAME: test.md
>> #+begin_src markdown
>> -   Foo 1
>> -   Foo2:
>>     -   Foo21
>>     -   Foo22
>>
>>     End of Foo2 item.
>> #+end_src
>
> Well, the rules governing blank lines in Mardown are mysterious to me.
> They are also, AFAIK, totally undocumented.

I agree.

> Anyway, you are suggesting to remove any blank line before paragraphs
> following a plain list, but only when they are already contained
> within a list.

Well, please, don't trust me too quickly :) I must admit I'm very far
from a mardown expert: I'm only a very occasional user.

> In other words, both
>
>   - Foo 1
>   - Foo 2
>
>   A paragraph
>
> and
>
>   - Foo 1
>   - Foo 2:
>     - Foo 21
>     - Foo 22
>     End of Foo 2 item.
>
> are valid examples. Am I correct?

In fact, my suggestion was wrong: AFAICS, the last example doesn't give
the expected HTML result neither and the less bad solution for nested
lists in markdown seems to be:

#+NAME: test.md
#+begin_src markdown
-   Foo 1

-   Foo 2:

    -   Foo 21
    -   Foo 22

    End of Foo 2 item.
#+end_src

which is interpreted as (rather ugly):

#+begin_src html
<ul>
  <li>
  </li>
  <li>
    <ul>
      <li>Foo 21</li>
      <li>Foo 22</li>
    </ul>
  </li>
</ul>
#+end_src

> Also, what about other block types, e.g., which one is valid:
>
>   - Foo 1
>   - Foo 2:
>     - Foo 21
>     - Foo 22
>
>     #+begin_example
>     Some example
>     #+end_example
>
> or
>
>   - Foo 1
>   - Foo 2:
>     - Foo 21
>     - Foo 22
>     #+begin_example
>     Some example
>     #+end_example

I'm not sure to understand what you have in mind: are these last two
examples at org mode level?

Denis