Re: [O] org export outcomes differ from one attempt to the next

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] org export outcomes differ from one attempt to the next
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 20:58:18 +0100

On Monday, 21 Sep 2015 at 20:21, Robert Klein wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Following up on my own post, I thought I would illustrate what I get.
>>
>> I've attached three screenshots:
>>
>> 1. a snippet from the org file where I have a number of latex_header
>> lines.
>
> two things:
>
> - if your org version is the one stated in your mail footer
>   (release_8.3.1-234-g8c85c9), then it is 11 days old :)

Hi Robert,

thanks for your response.

I run multiple instances of emacs simultaneously, one of them
specifically for email, i.e. gnus, and that emacs instance was running a
previous version of org...  the tests were done with the latest version
(-252-).  sorry for the confusion.

> - anyway, this sounds similar to my issues in thread
>   http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/98428  (resolved, but
>   it wasn't really clear, /why/ the patch worked...)

I went through that thread and I'm not entirely sure if or how it
relates to my issue.  However, I tried going back to June (well before
the patch mentioned) and that version shows the same behaviour I am
seeing now but worse (more lines changing from one export to the next)
so maybe it is related.

> Does your
>   issue also happen, when you take only the beginning of your file up
>   to the first paragraph of the first heading (not marked
>   as :noexport:)?  This is not a /minimal/ minimal example, but if
>   you can post this plus the relevant parts of your setup, there is a
>   chance to reproduce and solve the issue.

Actually, my settings are at the end of the whole 4000+ line file so I
am not sure what you are suggesting I try.  If I delete the whole
settings subtree, the exports all result in the same LaTeX.  However,
that is of no use to me, obviously.  I guess I can try to add one line
at a time to see when the export breaks.  I may try that tomorrow.

I guess I would like some insight into how the latex_header lines are
parsed by org, maybe in org-element?  There is something strange going
on because every or most evaluations of the export dispatcher to LaTeX
lead to slightly different results.

Thanks again,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.2, Org release_8.3.1-234-g8c85c9