Re: [O] footnote fontify causing massive slowdown

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] footnote fontify causing massive slowdown
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2015 10:41:09 +0100

Hello,

Aaron Ecay <address@hidden> writes:

> The way I read the report, org-footnote-in-valid-context-p takes 44%
> of the cumulative time, which is composed of
> org-inside-LaTeX-fragment-p (25%) + org-in-block-p (16%) + other stuff
> (3%). So org-inside-LaTeX-fragment-p accounts for >50% of the time
> spent in org-footnote-in-valid-context-p.

Interesting.

I thought that percents were cumulative, so `org-in-block-p' accounted
for 16% - 1% and `org-inside-LaTeX-fragment-p' 25% - 16% of the total
time.

> I see.  Eventually it sounds like a good idea, indeed.  Maybe we should
> use something a bit stronger than org-lint to warn of the deprecation.
> What if opening a document with plain footnotes generated a warning?

Generate a warning about plain footnotes deprecation ? How do you turn
it off ? Do you require the user to set some variable to a non-nil value
before Org's initialization ? IIRC Magit did that at some point and
I found it annoying.

Note that we cannot turn it off automatically due to false positives
(i.e., we cannot decide if there are obsolete footnotes in the document
or something looking like them and yet perfectly valid in the document).

Nicolas Goaziou