Re: [O] Wrong type argument: characterp, 134217782 (??)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [O] Wrong type argument: characterp, 134217782 (??)
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 21:41:07 +0100 (CET)

Chuck,
Thank you for addressing my issue with backquote and CDLaTeX.

>From your explanation I gather my problem just split in two.

1. Remap an alternative key to type ` (backquote or back-tick, as you prefer),
possibly a key that CDLaTeX understands so it allows me to enter the "math
symbols menu". There's no work-around here, it's only backquote that grants the
access to said menu.

2. Choose an alternative character that lets me cycle through the 3 levels of
the math symbols menu. This is done by modifying the "cdlatex-math-symbol-
prefix".

I've managed to solve problem n.2, i.e. instead of backquote I now have '@' to
cycle through the menu. I did this with the command "M-x customize-option RET"
followed by "cdlatex-math-symbol-prefix", changing to '@' and saving everything
into my .emacs file for future sessions.

Problem n.2 appears a little bit more complicated to me, since the remapping
that you cite was done for me by other emacs expert users. Nevertheless here's
my attempt:

    ;;; a key for backquote symbol
    (define-key key-translation-map (kbd "M-6") "")
    (define-key key-translation-map (kbd "M-9") (kbd "`"))
    ;;;this one's only for CDLaTeX math insertion
    (define-key key-translation-map (kbd "C-1") (kbd "`"))

I press Ctrl and 1 together and that's equivalent to backquote. This solution
works and solves problem n.1 too allowing me to enter the math symbols menu.
However I was wondering if there's a way to remap backquote so that the minor
mode CDLatex doesn't override Org-mode's keymap, specifically its mapping of
the backquote character.

I've read the "Mastering Key Bindings in emacs" article on www.masteringemacs.
org (link: https://www.masteringemacs.org/article/mastering-key-bindings-emacs)
and there seems to be a keymap called "minor-mode-map-alist". Can it be used to
"talk" to CDLaTeX? Something like "(define-key minor-mode-map-alist (kbd "M-9")
(kbd "`")) " perhaps? I'm not sure how to write this remapping command and I
don't want to break emacs' configuration. Can you give me some pointers?

Thank you again for taking the time to get into this hairy business.