Re: [O] syncing my life (orgmode :)) to a mobile (android) device

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Re: [O] syncing my life (orgmode :)) to a mobile (android) device
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 15:02:32 +0100

* Matt Lundin <address@hidden> wrote:

> If you use google calendar you could accomplish something similar with
> the following workflow:
>
> a) Export your org data to an ics file and put it in dropbox. In
> dropbox, grab a secret link to share that file.
>
> b) Point google calendar to the secret link. This will create a
> read-only calendar in google calendar.

I was using this method since 2013. Unfortunately, Google stopped
fetching my iCal file without any reason I could find. So I stopped
using Cloud-based services.

> c) Script a tool like gcalcli[fn:2] to pull and delete new items from a
> writable google calendar. Convert the data to org markup and add them to
> an org file. (This is the part that will involve just a bit of basic
> shell scripting.)

For now, I only use MobileOrg for capturing stuff on Android and for
displaying my agenda which was generated on the big machine.

> For fun (but not much profit) you can set up a chroot linux environment
> on a rooted android device and install all your favorite software
> (emacs, org, etc.). See https://github.com/guardianproject/lildebi for
> instance.
>
> By far the easiest way to access org mode is to set up some sort of ssh
> access to a computer running emacs. There are several good ssh clients
> for android. The hacker's keyboard app offers all the familiar modifier
> keys (Ctrl, Alt, etc.)

I tried this approach as well.

Unfortunately, the bluetooth HW keyboards I was testing did not
provide a method to send Ctrl/Alt/Esc -> no way. With software
keyboards (hacker's keyboard) I don't want to use Emacs since the
commands are "in my fingers" and with SW keyboards, I have to start
remembering the commands to use them slowly.

I was reading about the ARM-based mini-computers here. But since my
Org is rather slow on my intel i5/16GB RAM, I can't imagine working
on such a low performance hardware (again).

So far, Org-mode to go is a very unfortunate adventure.

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github