Re: [O] How to do proper folding and semantic markup

From: Christian Moe
Subject: Re: [O] How to do proper folding and semantic markup
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 10:10:33 +0200

Eduardo Mercovich writes:

> ... place the abstract and #+LATEX: commands for frontmatter before the
> first exported headline, e.g.,
> #+BEGIN_abstract
>   [Abstract here]
> #+END_abstract

Originally my fault for pointing out that this was possible (for latex
and html backends, anyway) without any special abstract handling. :-)

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-11/msg00046.html

> The question is: how do I use the 1st header (keeping it's folding and
> referencing in org) while at the same time expressing that it is an
> abstract?

One can fold a block manually. However, it won't be automatically folded
when a file is opened or when when cycling the whole buffer through
folding states with C-u TAB. If these matter to you (I gather that you
have to write long abstracts), you may need to use the ignore trick
Thomas Dye referred to.

You can name a block and reference it by name.

#+name: theabstract
#+begin_abstract
#+end_abstract

See [[theabstract][the abstract]].

> How (if) can be done not only before the ToC, LoF and LoT but
> after them?

You can control placement with a #+TOC: line. Do you need to do
something more?

An OS X upgrade just nuked my unix toolchains, including latex, so I
haven't checked how things work there.

Yours,
Christian