Re: [O] OT: two interesting articles about (non-)reproducible research

From: Rafael Laboissière
Subject: Re: [O] OT: two interesting articles about (non-)reproducible research
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 12:13:28 +0200

* Nick Dokos <address@hidden> [2016-04-08 14:54]:

[off-topic: not even a gratuitous org reference. My only excuse is the general interest of list members on reproducible research (org-babel! OK, that's the requisite gratuitous reference: I feel better now :-) )]

538.com has published a couple of interesting articles on some poli-sci research:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-two-grad-students-uncovered-michael-lacour-fraud-and-a-way-to-change-opinions-on-transgender-rights/#ss-1

and

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/as-a-major-retraction-shows-were-all-vulnerable-to-faked-data/

N.B. the reference to the "open data" policies of AJPS - that seems to be clearly the future direction of research (and, imo, it's about time).

Ironically, the results "found" in the retreated paper by LaCour & Green (2014) have been recently replicated by Broockman & Kalla (2016):

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/04/talking-people-about-gay-and-transgender-issues-can-change-their-prejudices

Rafael