Re: [O] [OT] A new web browser‽

From: Haider Rizvi
Subject: Re: [O] [OT] A new web browser‽
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 12:44:47 -0700

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte <address@hidden> writes:

> For me Conkeror works just great most of the time. But the main problem
> (for me) is that some of the extensions of Firefox will not work with
> Conkeror.

Yes, well aware of the extensions issue. Since I had no solution, I
started looking at it as a blessing in disguise ;-) It makes me use
less extensions, only adblock and https-everywhere right now on
Conkeror. But then I have a lot of stuff in javascript!

> In particular, the connector with Zotero standalone just cannot
> work with it. And this has forced me to "use Conkeror always, except if I
> need to do reference-related work"

> KeySnail so far seems to be an alternative to avoid my schizoid
> behavior.

Glad keysnail is working, I may have to look at it as a backup
option.

I could never get into zotero, when I tried last. I use a combination
of Pocket, Evernote, and org files for research / notes taking.

> (problem being that sometimes, while browsing, I decide "let's add
> this to Zotero" and then I need to start firefox, copy the link,
> etc).

You probably know this, but .... you can write a function and assign a
key for this to make life a bit easier.

// **** open in Firefox ****
function open_in_firefox (url, window) {
    var cmd_str = 'open -a firefox '+url;
    if (window != null) {
        window.minibuffer.message('Issuing ' + cmd_str);
     }
    shell_command_blind(cmd_str);
}

interactive("firefox", "Send url to Firefox",
          function (I) {
              open_in_firefox(I.buffer.display_uri_string, I.window);
          });
define_key(content_buffer_normal_keymap, "f5", "firefox");

>> I have tried out Vimium with Chrome, and liked it. You may want to
>> try it out if you haven't already.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion; I did not know it.
>
> I'll have to revisit it, because I just tried it and was unable to activate
> it in any page (get the icon on the bar to be colored). I must be doing
> something silly. However, I looked over the documentation quickly and I
> could not see how to mark stuff for downloading. Do I need more coffee?
>

> Best,
>
> R.
>

>> Regards,

Haider Rizvi