Re: [O] exporting documents w/ babel results w/o evaluating babel blocks

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] exporting documents w/ babel results w/o evaluating babel blocks
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 12:25:40 -0500

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 11:45 AM, Ken Mankoff <address@hidden> wrote:

> Eric: You're running something newer (by date) than the commit which changed
> the behavior, which was:
>
> ec615b1 - Fix `org-export-babel-evaluate' handling (2016-04-28)
>
> But with all the branches in git, I don't know if you have that commit or
> not. Anyway, I'm not sure why it works for you. It doesn't appear to work for
> John and I the way it used to. Do you have a global "eval: no" set somewhere?
>
> On 2016-05-20 at 12:14, John Hendy <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 10:57 AM, Ken Mankoff <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> As of an Org git commit a few weeks ago, Org exporting (and therefore
>>> Org) has become basically unusable for me. I used to be able to
>>> export code block results without evaluating the block during the
>>> export. I can no longer do this.
>>>

>> Well, you're exporting them at least *once*, right? If not, where are
>> the results coming from?
>
> Yes, but only once. Or sometimes I generate the figure elsewhere (via
> org-edit-special) and then manually put [[file:fig.pdf]] below the #+RESULTS:.
>
>> I do the same as I'm tweaking plots. Every code block I create has
>> :eval yes initially and once I'm satisfied with the results I just
>> change to :eval no and the generated results (for me, typically a
>> #+results line containing a link to a pdf plot generated by my code
>> block) are still included.
>>
>> Does this help at all? Sorry if I'm not understanding
>
> You understand, and this sort-of helps. I have never used :eval before.
> Things just didn't evaluate by default, and I like it like that.
>
> ":eval no" fixes the problem at export, but then I can't evaluate the code
> myself manually when not exporting.

Not in the buffer so as to replace results, but you *can* go into
interactive mode (if python has one) with =C-c '=. I use this
constantly, which allows me to ignore whatever :eval is set to, and
just putz around in the new code block buffer to my heart's content.
I'm approx. 100% R usage, so this still gives me access to the R
pop-up device to view plots or an R buffer to see results. You're
right though, there's no way to update the results block without
toggling :eval, manually running, and then resetting :eval back to no.

John