Re: [O] org: Fix tag width calculation for multi-column chars

From: Georgiy Tugai
Subject: Re: [O] org: Fix tag width calculation for multi-column chars
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2016 15:27:04 +0930

On 31 May, Samuel Wales wrote:
> i wonder if this also fixes tags for variable pitch (proportional)
> fonts.  i have been having great success with variable pitch fonts and
> it would be great if this fixes tags for them too.
>
> --
> The Kafka Pandemic: http://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com
>
> The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  And
> ANYBODY can get it.
>
> Denmark: free Karina Hansen NOW.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but would it be possible
to implement, for lack of better terms, "virtual" tag positioning? In
other words, the tags in the actual file are placed as usual
(org-tags-column), but if a new variable (say, org-tags-column-display)
is set, an overlay is placed onto each tag which results in the tags
being shown at that location rather than where they actually are in the
line?

I understand that this violates "what you see is what is in the file";
however, this would allow (I believe) easier handling of windows where
org-tags-column is wider than the window, as well as variable font sizes
(f.e. some themes use large font sizes for headings, which interferes
with tag positioning).

If this can be done and doesn't violate any of Org's design principles,
I would appreciate some pointers on where to hook into Org to implement
such a mechanism.

Regards,
Georgiy