Re: [O] How to safely update from ver. 8.2.10 to 8.3.x

From: Maria Shinoto
Subject: Re: [O] How to safely update from ver. 8.2.10 to 8.3.x
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 14:14:30 +0900

Thanks again, this was really helpful, and I understand the logic.

To explain what worked:

- My Emacs was simply the downloaded version of "EmacsForOSX", which resides in the application folder.

- The path to the emacs file that opens from the Terminal turned out to be
     /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs

- So the Terminal commands was

     /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -Q

- After checking that only the 2 regular buffers were active and orgmode not loaded, I installed the package with the package manager.

It worked well, my org-mode is now the newest version, and updating this way was really easy.

May I suggest that the procedure that Malcolm explained so well will be part of the explanation/wiki/manuals?

Beginners like me can become confused -- software bug, stupid user bug, what else...

Cheers to the list,
Maria