[O] Emacs movement keys

From: Eduardo Mercovich
Subject: [O] Emacs movement keys
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 16:38:48 -0300

Dear Orgers.

This is a novice for novices post. Probably all of you here know this, so please
bear with me with patience and understanding.

Since new users are welcomed to this humble and warm community, I'd like
to share a (to me) hidden pearl.

After some time using Org, I just... ehem... (cought)... <miniscule>did
the tutorial</miniscule>.

I found it quite useful, and the main thing are the emacs movement
keys. Of course, they are not the standard keyboard keys like [home],
[end], [Pg down] or [Pg up]. That not only would be too simple (we could
brawl on that, really), but I believe the real reason is that those keys
were not available or standard when Emacs started.

The good news is that the equivalent keybinds are central in the
keyboard, so you don't even have to move your hands a bit off where they
are.

All in all, the effort to change muscle memory in Emacs makes sense only
if you have an obsessive compulsive maximizer disorder, like many of us
here, and use mostly Emacs (same thing again). ;)

Please note, I'm only saying "I found this and believe it useful for
some" and not "everyone should re-learn how to move". It doesn't make
sense to start any personal, opinionated and context dependent war.

In short, here is the compressed version in a org table.

|           | move | move | del   | del  |
| object    | prev | next | back  | forw |
|-----------+------+------+-------+------|
| text      | M <  | M >  | -     | -    |
| screen    | M v  | C v  | -     | -    |
| paragraph | M p  | M n  | -     | -    |
| sentence  | M a  | M e  | -     | M-k  |
| line ↑ ↓  | C p  | C n  | -     | -    |
|      < >  | C a  | C e  | -     | C-k  |
| word      | M b  | M f  | M-DEL | M-d  |
| char      | C b  | C f  | DEL   | C-d  |

C-l clear screen and redisplay all the text,
    moving point to center, top and bottom of the screen

C-/ Undo

For those with visual memory, the image attached may provide some clues:
it's the same thing but the M and C keys are colored, so the pattern is
easier to see.

BTW, there is a quite clear and well thought pattern here:
+ sArt and End
+ Previous and Next
+ Forward and Backward
+ Kill
+ Backspace (DEL) and Delete.

I hope this may prove useful for someone there. :)

Best...

--
eduardo mercovich

 Donde se cruzan tus talentos