Re: [O] working with tables can be quite painful...

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] working with tables can be quite painful...
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 10:03:51 +0100

On Tuesday, 20 Sep 2016 at 08:54, Jacob Nielsen wrote:
> Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Hi, I've had these lines in my org files for a long time. Perhaps they
> help ?
>
> # -*- cache-long-scans: nil; -*-
> # This makes forward-line much faster and thus org-goto-line
> # and thus org-table-sum (C-c +)

Interesting.  Reading the documentation for this variable notes that
having this set to t is most useful for buffers with very long
lines.  As I use visual-line-mode, most of my lines are whole paragraphs
so frequently longer than the 500 characters that the documentation
mentions as "long lines".  So it would seem that I should keep the
default setting of t...  but it may be worthwhile playing around with
this variable.

There are obviously quite a few interacting elements which can affect
the performance of emacs.

Thanks!
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.1.50.1, Org release_8.3.6-1149-g582233