Re: [O] Bug: malformed property drawers [8.3.6 (8.3.6-3-gf46b92-elpa @ c

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: malformed property drawers [8.3.6 (8.3.6-3-gf46b92-elpa @ c:/Users/atamulis/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160919/)]
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 18:31:58 +0200

Hello,

"Tamulis, Andrius" <address@hidden> writes:

>     1) I've just spent a lot of time trying various searches at the
> emacs-orgmode Archives, and reading through many pages of results, but
> I can't find the mailing list discussion mentioned below by Nicolas.
> Can anyone help? Until I read that, I won't comment further on whether
> it was a good idea to insist that PROPERTIES and dates immediatly
> follow the headline.

The most recent involved John Wiegley, who didn't like this change
either. You also may want to look for a subject tagged with [ANN] where
this change is announced.

Anyway, the main motivation is speed, and removing some pathological
cases, e.g., with entries containing inlinetasks. Now property API runs
in constant time, it scales much better than before.

>     2) If there is good code for fixing the properties drawers, why
> isn't it in the org-agenda-set-property function? The code there now
> just creates new PROPERTIES drawers, ignoring existing ones.

The code in ORG-NEWS do not really "fix" drawers. Your drawers are
perfectly valid in Org 8.3, but they do not have the same meaning. This
function turns them into an equivalent for Org 9.0. This is only
a helper function for the transition.

OTOH, `org-agenda-set-property' function tries to repair wrong drawers,
e.g., when they are missing the :END: part, IIRC.

Nicolas Goaziou