Re: [O] [RFC] Change visibility for bracket links

From: Clément Pit--Claudel
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Change visibility for bracket links
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 10:56:43 -0400

On 2016-10-10 10:17, Nick Dokos wrote:
> Clément Pit--Claudel <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On 2016-10-07 22:38, Adam Porter wrote:
>>> I understand the motivation for making this change, but I respectfully
>>> request that this be made configurable.  I much prefer the "clean" links
>>> without visible brackets, and adding them would seem like a regression
>>> to me.  I'm guessing that many current Org users would also prefer to
>>> keep the brackets invisible.
>>
>> Adam, what do you think of my earlier suggestion (displaying the
>> brackets when the pointer is on them, hiding them otherwise? (In the
>> style of prettify-symbols-mode with unprettify-symbol-at-point)
>>

> I don't particularly care whether the brackets are shown or not, but I
> dislike things that change the visual appearance as you roll over
> them.

Note that by pointer I meant point, not mouse; IOW, pointing on something with
your mouse would not change anything display-wise.
I'm not sure what you meant by roll-over.

> The web is full of such things and they drive me bananas: you
> are trying to read something and you roll over something in the text
> that changes its appearance, possibly shifting the text that you are
> reading and leaving you to chase it around the page - good bye,
> concentration.  Even if you do it by just switching visibility on the
> brackets, it's distracting when you are reading; it might be helpful
> when composing but I'm not convinced even for that.

Agreed.  I'd be curious to get feedback from users of prettify-symbols-mode,
too.  And to know whether your objections apply as strongly to just revealing
the brackets when the point is on them (not when they are being moused over)

Cheers,
Clément.