Re: [O] Bug: Please supply stable releases on ELPA or MELPA Stable [8.3.

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Please supply stable releases on ELPA or MELPA Stable [8.3.4 (8.3.4-dist @ /usr/local/share/emacs/25.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/)]
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2016 12:08:26 +0100

Hello,

Bastien Guerry <address@hidden> writes:

> We could simply have daily snapshot of the maint branch in addition to
> daily snapshot of the master branch.
>
> For now http://orgmode.org/org-latest.tar.gz is build from the master
> branch, but we could also have http://orgmode.org/org-bugfix.tar.gz.
>
> What do you think?

This is not what I'm suggesting. Let me try to expunge a bit.

I thing we should automate bugfix releases with regular version
numbering scheme, e.g., 8.3.7 release, /as a replacement for/
org-YYYYMMDD releases. Therefore:

1. org-YYYYMMDD could be renamed org-MAJOR-MINOR-BUGFIX# where MAJOR
   MINOR are never modified automatically, and BUGFIX# is (1+ last
   BUGFIX#).

2. Conditions to make a new automated release ought to change. We could
   wait for a full "idle" week after a commit before releasing (IOW,
   wait for one week after a commit but every new commit during that
   period resets the counter). "next Monday" rule has bitten us already.
   The new rule is not perfect either, but is more secure. If one full
   week is too long, we may reduce it to 4 days.

OTOH "org-bugfix.tar.gz" is not monotonic, so it buys us very little.

What do you think?

Nicolas Goaziou