Re: [O] transcluding some org-elements in multiple places

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] transcluding some org-elements in multiple places
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 11:55:44 -0500

David Talmage writes:

> On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 11:28 AM, Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On Friday,  9 Dec 2016 at 15:29, John Kitchin wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I have an idea for how I could transclude "copies" or links to
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> > Any thoughts? Do you see any potential issues?
>>
>> Potentially very interesting and useful idea.  Some thoughts/issues:
>>

> I'm interested in this, too.  In my lab notebook org file, I have a section
> that should be put into its own file and either linked or transcluded in
> several places.  Transclusion would be better because I could see the text
> without following a link.  It suits my lazy nature. ;-)

It turns out to be pretty easy to see the text; that can be done with a
simple overlay. What is not easy, is to be able to edit the text, or use
the text with org-machinery, e.g. org-map-entries. The text in the
overlay is not visible to the org-machinery, so you can not get
properties, edit it, etc... Editing could be made possible with a
special buffer, but it doesn't seem likely that you can make the overlay
display work with many org-functions.

I did have some success making bi-directional editing possible with
modification-hooks on an overlay on the copied text, but it is tricky to
do and I ran into some other difficulties I have not been able to get past.

1. having a transcluded headline at a different level than the source.
E.g. I want to group headlines under a heading in one document, but they
are all first level headings in another document.

2. having an org-id in more than one location confuses org-id and causes
some issues. This suggests you might want some kind of transcluded id,
that is different than the source id.

>> - what about more than level of indirection: link to a trancluded
>>   headline which transcludes to another etc.  What is shown?  Is there a
>>   performance hit?
>>

> It seems to me that transclusion should be transitive.  A transcluded org
> file should be able to transclude other org files.  It should be
> transclusion all the way down.
>
> It also seems to me that org-mode transclusion must detect cycles so that
> it does not infinitely transclude documents.

that would be a good idea!

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F