Re: [O] Properties ID vs. CUSTOM_ID

From: Christophe Schockaert
Subject: Re: [O] Properties ID vs. CUSTOM_ID
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2016 20:23:53 +0100

John Kitchin writes:
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 10:30 AM, Karl Voit <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> * John Kitchin <address@hidden> wrote:
>> >
>> > There is not an issue using a human-readable id in :ID: as long as it is
>> > unique. It will store fine, link fine, etc...
>>
>> I also think so because I am only using human-readable :ID: without
>> any issue so far.
>>
>> However, the argument was that no human should set :ID: but use
>> :CUSTOM_ID: *instead*. See also the old thread I linked before.
>>
> That is just be a convention though, and as long as the IDs are unique, it
> does not matter who sets them.
>
> John
That's how I ended up understanding their use.

When I read the manual (http://orgmode.org/manual/Handling-links.html),
it's actually possible to define both IDs for the same entry:

:  So using this command (added: org-store-link) in Org buffers will
:  potentially create two links: a human-readable from the custom ID, and
:  one that is globally unique and works even if the entry is moved from
:  file to file. Later, when inserting the link, you need to decide which
:  one to use.

Indeed, if both IDs are available, when inserting the link, we can
choose which ID will be used as target.

Also, we should note that the scope for CUSTOM_ID is the current file
only. That's what prevented me to migrate human readable IDs to
CUSTOM_IDs, and led me to consider the choice between the two as a
convention.

And I guess, that you would need ID available between different files
too, Karl, as you expect org-depend to be usable accross different files
:o)

Christophe

--
--------------->  mailto:address@hidden
Once it's perfectly aimed, the flying arrow goes straight to its target.