Re: [O] footnotes problems in split files on export to latex - 'profiler

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: [O] footnotes problems in split files on export to latex - 'profiler-report'
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2017 11:45:17 +0000

> Hello,
>
> Sharon Kimble <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Also, if I try to insert a footnote inside the parent file it try's to
>> renumber the footnotes, which then causes problems with the other child
>> files.
>
> I cannot see why it would cause problems with other included files.
> Footnote numbers are hermetic across included files. IOW you can
> have [fn:1] in the master document and in every included file.
>
> Could you show an ECM?
>
>> The file is only 1.4mbs, but it has does have 23,985 lines and it is
>> glacially-slow in navigating the file, and it does take up large
>> percentages of CPU usage. Is there any way in which I could somehow make
>> emacs change its capabilities to allow files with large number of line
>> numbers please?
>
> This is another, unrelated, issue. Please send a profiler report (using
> M-x profiler-start ...).

I've never used 'profiler-report' but had only read about it yesterday,
so I started using it today, and its an incredibly useful thing -
programme? This what it found with my mega-sized file -

- timer-event-handler                                           10025  92%
 - apply                                                        10021  92%
  - wicked/update-wc                                             9607  88%
   - setq                                                        9607  88%
    - number-to-string                                           9607  88%
     - count-words-buffer                                        9607  88%
      - save-excursion                                           9607  88%
       - let                                                     9607  88%
        - while                                                  9579  88%
           setq                                                    20   0%
           not                                                     16   0%
  - tabbar-ruler-mouse-movement                                   363   3%
   - run-with-idle-timer                                           18   0%
    - timer-activate-when-idle                                      5   0%
     - timer--activate                                              4   0%
        timer--time-less-p                                          4   0%
  - bibtex-parse-buffers-stealthily                                 9   0%

That's just the major sections using the most CPU cycles.

From that display I was able to track down that it was constantly and
continuously counting all the words in the file! Well I've never used a
word-count for anything so I commented it out in my config and restarted
emacs. And now in the same file I can move about with considerable ease
using 'Imenu'.

Now, on the same file, its showing -

- timer-event-handler                                           15450  27%
 - apply                                                        15378  27%
  - jit-lock-deferred-fontify                                    5513   9%
   + redisplay                                                   5250   9%
     #<compiled 0x4f45bf5>                                         14   0%
  - org-indent-initialize-agent                                  4307   7%
   - org-indent-initialize-buffer                                4307   7%
    - org-indent-add-properties                                  4301   7%
     - org-at-item-p                                             4065   7%
      - org-list-in-valid-context-p                              4042   7%
       + org-in-block-p                                          3852   6%
     - org-indent-set-line-properties                              77   0%
        org-add-props                                               8   0%
       org-list-item-body-column                                   23   0%
     - org-current-level                                            3   0%
        org-outline-level                                           1   0%
  - tabbar-ruler-mouse-movement                                  1941   3%
   - run-with-idle-timer                                          111   0%
    - timer-activate-when-idle                                     80   0%
     - timer--activate                                             44   0%
        timer--time-less-p                                         44   0%
      timer-set-function                                            4   0%
      timer-set-idle-time                                           4   0%
     seconds-to-time                                               12   0%
   + cancel-timer                                                   8   0%
  + jit-lock-stealth-fontify                                     1618   2%
  + ac-update-greedy                                              929   1%
  + highlight-symbol-temp-highlight                               321   0%
  + org-ref-link-message                                          114   0%
  + keyfreq-autosave--do                                           94   0%
  + my-frame-title-refresh                                         56   0%
  + #<compiled 0x2881ff>                                           45   0%
  + show-paren-function                                             8   0%
  + guide-key/polling-function                                      7   0%
    jit-lock-force-redisplay                                        6   0%
  + isearch-lazy-highlight-update                                   3   0%
 + timer-activate-when-idle                                        15   0%
   timer-activate                                                   4   0%
   timer-until                                                      1   0%
   cancel-timer-internal                                            1   0%
- command-execute                                               14315  25%

Which is considerable better.

Thanks Nicolas.

Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian 8.6, fluxbox 1.3.5-2, emacs 25.1.1.1