Re: [O] org manual not updating when pulling from git

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] org manual not updating when pulling from git
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2017 14:41:58 -0500

Charles Millar <address@hidden> writes:

> When pulling from git, shouldn't the manual be updated if for no other
> reason than to refelct the most recent org version?

It depends on what you mean by "the manual" - the texinfo source is updated,
but any derived files (info, pdf) are not: they are not under source control
at all.

> Up unitl two or three days ago, this was my experience. Now, however,
> none of the documentation seems to be updating, e g.
>
> current Org mode version 9.0.4 (release_9.0.4-283-g2064b0 @
> /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/)
>
> pdf manual shows version Release 9.0.4 (release 9.0.4-263-gf15728)

"make doc" or "make pdf" will update the PDF file. If you use one of
the update targets in the makefile, it may have been updating the pdf
doc under the covers. Taking a look through recent commits, the only one
that might be relevant seems to be this:

,----
| commit c90c7a33f53ad88dfcc583ad4c77bec306da0b22
| Author: Marco Wahl <address@hidden>
| Date:   Wed Feb 1 11:16:16 2017 +0100
|
|     targets.mk: Drop the rule to clean at every compile
|
|     Rationale: 1. Save time and energy.  2. Use the make tool for what
|     it's been made.
`----

So, how do you update?

--