Re: [O] org-mode markup vs rst for general content

From: Alan L Tyree
Subject: Re: [O] org-mode markup vs rst for general content
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 11:49:47 +1100

On 10/03/17 11:17, Samuel Wales wrote:
On 3/9/17, Alan L Tyree <address@hidden> wrote:
The only problem that I have had is converting org-mode to Word files as
required by my publisher. The ODT export module is fiddly and often
chokes on my longer documents. When it does choke, it is hard to trace
the problems. Markdown + Pandoc seems much better in this regard, but
the outlining features in Emacs do not seem to be as good for the
Markdown mode. To get a decent export in my latest manuscript I had to
export to LaTeX then use ht4tex. Not a pretty workflow.
your answer seems very helpful.  not sure what you mean in this par though.

just to clarify:

are you referring to exporting to word from org-mode?
Yes, my publisher demands Word manuscripts (I don't know why -- they immediately use some other publishing software).
   - odt [is that word format?]
LibreOffice, but LibreOffice exports nicely to Word.
   - org -> markdown -> pandoc [presumably word]
Or even org -> Word using pandoc; the result was a bit of a mess though whether going via markdown or directly. Actually two problems:

- Lots of html markup in the result; noting the earlier posts in this thread, that might have been overcome;

- Internal references were links where the text of the link was the text of the target section; what I wanted was the link text to be the section number. In other words, the result was "see Holder in Due Course" instead of "see 4.6.1". The links were correct in each case, but the descriptive text was different.

  - org -> latex -> ht4tex [= word?]

No, I was wrong about that. ht4tex converted to HTML (but with the right form of cross reference) and then pandoc to word. The end result had the cross references in the form I wanted.

Is there any direct way to get the "see 4.6.1" form of reference? I doubt it since it clearly requires a double pass of the manuscript, first to assign section numbers and labels, then to put in the appropriate reference. LaTeX does that.
i was wondering, too, what format would be good to export to for a
nontechnical reader, from org, and can preserve org's external
hyperlinks and numbered outline structure.
The LibreOffice export is good when it works. I have just found it to be hit and miss. If the 'non-technical' reader can handle plain text, I would just send them Markdown, otherwise I guess you need to go for Word or RTF. It is a painful process.

to the original poster: org can also insert literal target format
code.  for example, you can put literal html code into your export as
needed.  dunno if that fits your needs.

Tel:  04 2748 6206              sip:address@hidden